Saturday, June 7, 2008

One down...

First run of the season today. Not my best run ever, but not bad after several weeks of no running. I always take the winter/spring off from running to give my body a break and focus on other activities for a while, so whenever I get back to running, it's always tough the first time back.

But I did it!

Full marathoners were supposed to go 4-6 miles today. I went 4, knowing full well 6 would be pushing it for me today (and besides, they need mentors in the other groups as well, to encourage the newbies ;)). I did my usual run-walk interval of 3 min running/2 min walking, which felt good. It would have probably felt even better if I hadn't started my intervals 10 min into the run; by then I had pushed myself beyond what I should have, so I spent the rest of my run trying to get in my groove.

After our run, Honoree Maureen spoke. Her story never fails to make me cry. She's such an inspiration--as are all of our honorees. If she can run a half-marathon merely 10 weeks after finishing a grueling radiation treatment, I have no business whining about training for a full marathon, do I?

Pictures to come soon, after I get past my laziness and upload them ;).

No comments: